Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Christmas Break 6: Arashiyama and Fushimi Inari

Monday, December 27th

On Monday we headed to the west side of Kyoto to visit Arashiyama. 


I took this picture because the grapefruit juice was mine. For some reason I've started liking grapefruit juice. I used to HATE it! I don't know what's wrong with me.

Our main reason for visiting Arashiyama was the Monkey Park. You walk up a mountain where there are wild monkeys!




Huh? I didn't know that the monkey park was actually a monkey. I thought it was a park.

When you reach the top of the mountain, there is a building where you can feed the monkeys.



We bought a bag of peanuts to feed them. It was a lot of fun! It was cute seeing them take the peanuts out of our hands. As soon as they would put a peanut in their mouth they would stick their hand back out asking for more!


The view overlooking Kyoto was awesome!




There was a random playground near the top. It was pretty old and rundown, but the slide was fun!


Here are a couple pictures of the river in Arashiyama. Rivers in Japan tend to be very shallow.



We took a quick walk through the bamboo forest. The sound of the bamboo in the breeze was very nice.


I went into a candy store that had super cute candy. We each picked out a piece. I didn't care what it tasted like, I just wanted it because it was cute!


When we got back to Kyoto station, we ate at the Japanese restaurant in Porta again. This time I had Kitsune Soba. It's soba with a big piece of sweet tofu. It was really good!


"Kitsune" means fox. There's no fox in Kitsune Soba, but it was appropriate to eat before heading to Fushimi Inari because there are many fox statues there.


That's a picture from a bathroom at Fushimi Inari. Who would sit on that??? lol


We arrived at the lookout point I had been to before, but we continued beyond that to do a loop. It was very peaceful and quiet. At many points it was almost like a maze because we got confused on which way to go a couple times. However, we took the right ways and eventually made it back to the lookout point. I thought that there would have been a better lookout point at the highest point on the loop, but there wasn't. It was still a nice hike though.


We stayed at that point for sunset. While sitting up there we ate the candy we had bought earlier. It tasted pretty much how I expected because it was just sweet.


Once the sun had set, we took a side pathway. The car parked under the torii was interesting.


We found another lookout point a little above the other lookout. It's not much further than the other one, but it's actually a little better and there are fewer people.


Nyan! Nyan! (Meow! Meow!)

This was my fourth time at Fushimi Inari (though one time was only for a few minutes) and I think that this was the best time of day to go. It's nice in the day and night, and this time we got to see it in both... plus sunset!

0 comments:

Post a Comment