Tuesday, May 13, 2014

March and April Randomness: Cute Doughnuts and More



Easter isn't celebrated in Japan and it's really hard to find anything Easter themed. I saw a few small cookies at Kaldi, special ice cream flavors and egg shaped cups at Baskin Robbins, and these doughnuts at Krispy Kreme. That's it. 


I got the sakura strawberry Frappuccino  at Starbucks in early March shortly before their sakura themed stuff ended. It ended before the blossoms even started. The Frappuccino was good, but I liked the latte better.


I bought a cute sakura cookie cutter and tried making shortbread cookies with it. Most of them didn't hold their shape very well. I don't know if it was the recipe (though the pictures with the recipe showed very nice cut-out cookies) or just the toaster oven. Probably mostly the toaster oven.



On my last day at one of my schools I got some nice Japanese sweets from the English teachers. 


I also got some sweets from one of the teachers at my main school. 


I really like these animal shaped crackers. Last time I bought them there were Rilakkuma shaped crackers mixed in. This time it was the Loch Ness Monster. That just reminded me. The other day after giving my introduction in either a fifth or sixth grade class a boy asked me if I had ever seen Big Foot in America. I said no and he was disappointed of course.  


I just randomly threw this together and it turned out really well. I cooked some pineapple, onion, and ham (just the precooked lunch meat type). I added equal amounts of soy sauce and mirin and just a little bit of sugar which makes a basic teriyaki sauce. I ate it over rice and it was very delicious. Next time I will keep the pineapple separate because when I ate the leftovers the pineapple had absorbed too much of the sauce and didn't taste as good anymore.


This cream soda (melon soda with ice cream) lollipop was good and cute!



McDonald's had amusing 80s decorations.


There is a Seiyu near my new apartment. I've been to a few Seiyu stores in Japan but this one really does kind of seem like Walmart. 


I'm amused by some of the same store brands you see in America because they have different products. I don't think you can find Mainstays origami paper in America.

0 comments:

Post a Comment