Sunday, September 26, 2010

Giant Robots are Taking Over Japan


I went to Shizuoka the day after Sports Day. I hadn't been to Shizuoka yet (except just passing through on a train) even though it's easy for me to get to. I just take the ferry across the bay and then a short train ride.

Here's a picture I took on my way to the ferry.


Here is the ferry arriving in Toi.


I was really excited to see Mt. Fuji! I could see it better than it appears in the picture, though it still wasn't a super clear view.


Before getting on the ferry I went to 7-11 and bought a snack. Recently milk chocolate Pocky came out and I love it. The regular kind is dark chocolate and I don't like it that well. The Fanta Super Fruits was OK. I was about to get Peach (which is awesome) when I noticed this new flavor. It's a mix of white grape, pomegranate, mangosteen, and camu camu. I had no idea what a couple of those fruits were until I looked them up just now. It's definitely an interesting mix. It was good, but I probably wont buy it again. I'd much rather have the peach flavor. :)



I first arrived at Higashi Shizuoka station. As I exited the station I saw something very frightening... a giant robot! It looked like it was about to destroy the city.


Actually, this was one of my reasons for going to Shizuoka. I had seen this advertised and wanted to see it. I have never watched the Gundam anime and really have no interest in it or robots in general. But a giant statue of a robot? I had to see it!

The area around the statue was like a festival. There were many food stands (I ate gyoza) and a stage with dance performances. I stopped and watched a few.





The giant model robot was pretty impressive because it is so big. It also moved its head and there were some flashing lights. It's sword (light saber? I don't know...) lights up at night, but I didn't get to see that.

After a while I headed back to the station and took a quick train ride to Shizuoka station to do some shopping around there. There was a mall connected to the station and I bought a cute purple rug for my bedroom later right before I left. :) I also walked to a mall a few streets away because it has Loft, one of my favorite stores in Japan.


I came across some food stands.


One of them had Welch's Strawberry Soda. I was so confused why they had it. It was obviously imported since the packaging had absolutely no Japanese on it. It was so strange though because I have a hard time finding this in the US. It made me happy though!


This statue was strange.



I came across more dancing in the streets. I had received a pamphlet at the Gundam thing that showed different dance groups and had maps and times showing where they would be. I wasn't particularly looking for any of them, but I came across a strangely interesting one.



I will probably go back to Shizuoka again, mainly because of Loft and some of the other stores. I'm glad to know that there is a Loft store I can get to pretty easily. It's not as big as the ones in Tokyo, but it is still nice because it has a lot of the things I like to look at such as cute stickers and stationary. :)

2 comments:

  1. +$3,624 profit last week...

    Get 5 Star verified winning picks on NFL, NBA, MLB & NHL + Anti-Vegas Smart Money Signals...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you need to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Get your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

    ReplyDelete